Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Medtech Obsidon Medchanoid: "Galen"

Trust me, I'm a Doctor….
… also known as Doctor Worm.

Like the Slave Drones, he was a bit annoying to paint- but I'm glad I didn't succumb and dry brush him.


He was painted in a very similar style to the Slave Drones.  The key difference between the them was that I went even more 'organic'- painting the pincers and sail spines in a bone colour.

Mirin my aesthetics?
Things that I really enjoy looking at now, are the bony bits.  I think they've turned out really well.  It was:

VGC Charred Brown- base coat
Citadel Zandri Dust- highlight
Citadel Ushabti Bone- further highlight
VMC Ivory- ultra highlight

My lab coat
Overall, the carapace was done ok.  The main thing was that it ties in with the rest of my army.  

Let me wash my hands first
I think the blue glow could be improved.  I didn't drybrush the glow this time, I just layered the glow.  Unfortunately, it didn't turn out as good as the previous glow effects I've tried.  I need to perfect the glow of the centre of the source.  It's not as simple as bright/ light colour in the centre.  

Time to stare at a few more glowing stones!

The Doctor will see you now.




2 comments:

  1. Best way I've found to do glow is actually paint the middle section white, then using thinned out paint (at least 3:1 water paint) to layer over the section. However, need to give it time to dry between layers as it dries darker than initially applied, or run the risk of being impatient and applying too many layers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to try that on my next model. See how it goes.

      Delete